• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at 1-866-800-1409.
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Breakfast Club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or 800-252-8966.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call 815-300-6288.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 6th annual Heart Haven Hustle –
6:30 to 9 a.m. Oct. 15, starts on Brooks Lane by Bar Louie, Bolingbrook. Heart Haven OutReach, the organizer, is a local organization providing mentoring services, support groups, recreational activities and more for high school teens in the greater Bolingbrook and Romeoville areas who are experiencing challenging times. For registration and information, visit shawurl.com/34t2.
• 9th annual Angels Against Abuse 5K Walk/Run – 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 28, Towne Center Park, 1 Towne Center Blvd., Shorewood. All proceeds benefit local families and children affected by domestic violence. For registration and information, visit www.gacsprograms.org/dvam.
• “A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls” – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursdays, Sept. 28 through Nov. 16, Lincoln Way Christian Church, 690 E. Illinois Highway, New Lenox. Free for New Lenox residents. For registration and information, contact Daniel Martin at 815-462-6493 or email@example.com.
• Blood Run 5K / Zombie Walk – 1K Kids Run is at 8:30 a.m. Main event is at 9 a.m. Starts and ends at Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Benefits Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Early registration ends Oct. 6. To register, visit register at bloodrun5k.itsyourrace.com. For information, contact Lynnette Doherty at 815-726-3377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CERT 20-hour basic course – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays starting Sept. 13, New Lenox Village Hall. The final exercise and graduation is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 28. Free to New Lenox residents. Contact Daniel Martin at 815-462-6493 or email@example.com.
• Fitness for the Active Adult – Tuesdays and Thursdays, Oct. 31 to Dec. 2. From 9 to 9:45 a.m. and 10 to 10:45 a.m., Plainfield Township Community Center, Plainfield. Ages 55 and older. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815- 436-8812.
• Fourth annual Haunted 5K Run and Walk – Oct. 22, Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, All ages. Includes a one-mile race for children under 12. Register at www.active.com/joliet-il/running/distance-running-races/jjc-haunted-5k-2017. For information, email Rich McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kelly Larson at email@example.com.
• Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers CornFest 5K Fun Run – Sept. 30, White Oak Elementary School, 2001 Dupont Ave., Morris. Part of the Grundy County Corn Festival. The race begins at 9 a.m., preceded by a Tot Trot for children 8 and younger at 8:30 a.m. Registration through Sept. 26 at raceroster.com/13128. For information or forms, call 815-705-7364.
• Morris Hospital “Rhythm of Our Youth” cardiac screening – Sept. 22 at Dwight High School; Oct. 3 and Oct. 4 at Yorkville High School; Oct. 11 at Yorkville High School Academy; Oct. 31 at Reed-Custer High School; and Nov. 14 at Wilmington High School. Volunteers older than 18 needed. Call 815-705-7022. For information or an electronic student consent form, visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI Basics – 6 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Sept. 19 for six weeks. NAMI Will-Grundy, 417 Taylor St., Joliet. Free, six-week education program offered in a group setting for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face. Registration required by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, visit www.namiwillgrundy.org.
• Our Fallen Hero 5k run/walk in memory of PFC Aaron Toppen – 8 a.m. Sept. 23, Willowview Park in Mokena. For information, contact Bridget Shafer at 708-710-9343 or ourfallenhero5k@gmail, or visit ourfallenhero5k.com.
• Plainfield Park District Yoga Classes – Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. 18 and older. Basic Beginning Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 18 and up. Gentle Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 20 and up. Any level of health. Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Ages 6 to 10. Little Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center. Ages 3 to 5. For times, registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Total Body Conditioning – Classes run 6 to 6:55 p.m. Monday classes run Oct. 30 to Dec. 11, Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Thursday classes run Oct. 26 through Dec. 14, Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Valley View School District 365U School Safety Conference – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sept. 28, Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook. Featured speakers Michele Gay, who co-founded the “Safe and Sound” initiative in honor of her daughter, Josephine, and in memory of those lost on Dec. 14, 2012, at Sandy Hook School, and Stephen Sroka, who went from living in the “projects” to being a professor. $99. Lunch included. Register at www.vvsd.org/modernview.
• New Siblings Class – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, Family Birthing Suites classroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. $5 a child. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Sept. 19, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Sept. 19, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Laugh to Wellness – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mistwood Golf Club, 1700 W. Renwick Road, Romeoville. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-886-2076.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m. First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda 1-630-877-7943.
• Stress Management and Diabetes –
6 to 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 High St., Morris. Presenter: Michelle Yost, nurse practitioner and certified diabetes educator. Free. Registration not required. For information, call 815-705-7367.
• Wellness on a Budget – 6 to 8 p.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Changing4Better. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Sept. 19, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• 11th annual Plainfield School District 202/Valley View School District 365U Community Resource Fair – 5 to 8 p.m., Plainfield East High School 12001 S. Naperville Road, Plainfield. Advice on senior care, drug addiction, financial issues, finding local food pantries, recreational activities. Spanish language interpreters available. For more information, visit www.communityresourcefair.org.
• Stroke Support Group – 4 to 5 p.m. at Silver Cross Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Inpatient Unit Dining Room, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Wellness Walking Wednesdays – 5 to 6 p.m., Hickory Creek Preserve, LaPorte Road Access, Mokena; Rock Run Preserve, Black Road Access, Joliet; Whalon Lake, Royce Road, Naperville. Free. All ages. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Women’s Self-Defense Class – 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 13 and Sept. 14, Channahon Police Department, 24555 S. Navajo Drive, Channahon. $12. Students must complete registration form and waiver, which can be found at the Channahon Police Department. For information, visit www.channahon.org.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Intro to Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Marti Anne. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-479-9663.
• Pulmonary Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. For individuals with adult asthma, COPD, oxygen equipment, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis and respiratory disease. Family members welcome. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) orwww.silvercross.org.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Music and Movement – 3:15 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Taught by musician Stacy Jager. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Baby Bereavement Support Group – 7 to 8 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., Pavilion A, New Lenox. First-time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Children’s Health & Safety Fair – 9 a.m. to noon, Saratoga Elementary School, 4040 N. Division St., Morris. Over 30 state and local agencies, non-profit organizations and businesses covering a wide range of educational, health and child care, recreational and community services for families and children. Free admission, Complimentary refreshments. Giveaways. For more information, call Welter’s office at 815-416-1475 or visit www.repwelter.com.
• Walk to Extinguish ALS – 9 to 11 a.m., Verona-Kinsman Fire Station #1, 405 Division St., Verona. In memory of Chief Paul Anderson. Register at http://lesturnerals.org/events/walk-for-life/. For information, call Melissa Dunning at 815-671-2084 or Tracy S. at 815-405-5195.
• Oktoberfest 5K – 10 to 11:30 p.m., Comprehensive Pain & Wellness, 3525 N. State, Route 47, Morris. Registration starts 8 a.m. Participants will be bussed to the start line 3.1 miles west on Southmor Road. The race will finish at Comprehensive Pain & Wellness. German attire encouraged. Proceeds benefit We Care of Grundy County. For information, call 815-942-8399,
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Zumba classes registration deadline – Classes are Mondays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Sept. 18 to Nov. 6 and Thursdays from 7 to 8 p.m., Sept. 21 to Nov. 9, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Age 16 and up. Register at 708-390-2343 or www.mokenapark.com.
• NAMI Connection Support Group – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. For adults living with mental illness. Free. Contact NAMI Will Grundy at 815-731-9103 or email@example.com.
• Zumba Toning – 11 to 11:45 a.m., Joliet Public Library, 150 N Ottawa Street, Joliet, IL 60432. All ages with adult, no registration required. For information, call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Mended Hearts – 2 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Support group for heart patients. For information, call Margaret Downey at 815-725-7133, ext. 7847
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Breast Cancer Networking Group – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Baby Basics Class – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $25 a couple. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Tai Chi Qigong registration deadline – Event is 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Wednesdays, Sept. 20 through Nov. 8, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Age 18 and up. Register at 708-390-2343 or www.mokenapark.com.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.