• Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community is offering respite care – For information, call 815-230-8600.
• Balance enhancement and fall prevention screening – 15-minute appointment, Brain and Balance Clinic, 1051 Essington Road, Joliet. Screens performed through the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab at Silver Cross Hospital. To schedule a free screening, call 815-300-6580.
• Breakfast club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• C3 Martial Arts Classes – 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays, Judson Memorial Church Campus, 2800 Black Road, Joliet, Christ Centered Combat (C3) is a martial arts, self-defense class for those ages 7 and older. There is a kids’ taekwondo class Saturday mornings at 10 a.m., and following at 11 a.m. there is a teen/adult combat hapkido class. Thursday evening is all ages. First two classes are free. Call 815-342-3538 or visit www.fbcjoliet.org.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital,
1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Donate used eyeglasses – Through April 15 at Troy Middle School, student services office, 5800 Theodore St., Plainfield. Troy Middle School S.L.A.M. Club will give the glasses to Lions Club, where the glasses will be cleaned, sorted by prescription strength and distributed to people in need. Both children’s and adult glasses are requested.
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday; and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 W. Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364-6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Hospice volunteers needed – Compassus Hospice is seeking caring, dedicated volunteers. Duties may included patient and family visits, holding a hand, providing caregiver relief, reading to patients or playing music for them. For information, call Sarah Gorman, volunteer coordinator, Compassus Hospice, at 815-220-1390.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or you have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart disease, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofour-youth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its helpline at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Silver Cross Healthy Community Commission offers Health Care Scholarships – For individuals who reside in ZIP codes 60432, 60433, 60436 and the Lockport Grade School District 89. Application deadline is April 30. For applications, visit www.silvercross.org or contact Leslie Newbon at 815-300-1096 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Victims legal advice line – 9 a.m. to
1 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Call 844-388-7757 (toll free). Prairie State Legal Services will answer brief civil questions for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault. Bilingual staff or interpreters for limited English-proficient callers. For legal representation and information, visit www.pslegal.org.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at
815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 2nd annual Lincoln-Way Half Marathon – 7 a.m. April 22, 123 Kansas St., Frankfort. $70. Register at lincolnwayhalfmarathon.com. For information on sponsorship opportunities, visit lincolnwayhalfmarathon.
• A Matter of Balance – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. April 2 through May 21, New Lenox Village Hall, 1 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. Free. To register or for information, contact Daniel Martin, public safety division chief, New Lenox Police Department, at 815-462-6128 or email@example.com.
• Associated Orthodontists Scholarship – Five $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to past and present patients. Application deadline is March 31. Winners will be notified in May. Apply at greatbraces.com.
• Cancer Support Center Spring Gala – April 20, The Odyssey, 19110 S. Ridgeland Avenue, Tinley Park. Cocktail hour is at
6 p.m. Dinner is at 7 p.m. Award presentation is at 7:30 p.m. After-party is at 9 p.m. $125. $50 after-party only. Black tie optional. “Wizard of Oz” theme. Silent auction and raffles. The Cancer Support Center has locations in Mokena and Homewood. Purchase tickets at give.classy.org/2018SpringGala. For information, call 708-798-9171 or visit www.cancersupportcenter.org.
• Chi-Town Showdown – 5K Run & Walk, 8 a.m. Kids Dash is approximately 9 a.m., Main Park, 10925 W. La Porte Road, Mokena. Free parking. USATF-certified 5K course and transponder-timed. Festivities before and after event. Portion of proceeds benefit Mokena Park Foundation’s new Showdown Scholarship. Call 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Derby Day Horseshoe Hunt – 10 a.m. to noon May 5. Begin and end at Carson Tap House, 823 Liberty St., Morris. $25 a two-to four-person team. Children older than 6 welcome with adult. Benefits Joliet Area Community Hospice. Register by April 21 at www.joliethospice.org or contact Mary Rossio at 815-641-6315 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Joliet Area Community Hospice 6th annual 5K Family Fun Run/Walk – May 19, New Lenox Village Commons, 1 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. Check-in is at 8 a.m. Run/walk is at 9 a.m. All ages. Register by May 7 at www.joliethospice.org.
• Joliet Area Community Hospice annual Dinner – April 16, Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook. Social hour is at 5 p.m. Dinner and program is from 6 to
8 p.m. Cash bar, silent auction, raffles. $75 or $750 for table of 10. To register and for information, visit www.joliethospice.org.
• Joliet Area Community Hospice Peace of the Heart Kids Camp – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 18 to June 21, C.W. Avery YMCA and IRA Jones Middle School, Plainfield. Free. Lunch included. For ages 7 to 13 who had death of loved one. Limit 25 children. To register, contact Mary Ann Burns at 815-740-3282 or email@example.com.
• Joliet Area Community Hospice Peace of the Heart Teen Camp – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 11 to June 12, C.W. Avery YMCA and IRA Jones Middle School, Plainfield. Free. Lunch included. For ages 14 to 18 who had death of loved one. To register, contact Mary Ann Burns at 815-740-3282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Mistwood Hole In Run 5K Run/Walk for Autism – 9 a.m. to noon March 24, 1700 W. Renwick Road, Romeoville. Portion of proceeds benefits Autism Speaks in Chicago. To register, visit mistwoodgc.com/hole-in-run. For information, call 815-254-3333.
• NAMI Basics – Six-week course runs from 6 to 8:30 p.m. beginning April 8. Group classes for parents and family caregivers of children aged 22 and younger who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or already have been diagnosed. Provides critical strategies for caretaking. Register at email@example.com. For information, visit namiwillgrundy.org.
• Titan Trot 5K & Dash – 8:30 a.m. on April 14, Willowview Park, 11409 W. 195th Street, Mokena. 5K race, noncompetitive 5K walk and Kids Dash. The course is a UTSAF- certified, chip-timed course and results are posted online. Benefits St. Mary School. To register, visit runsignup.com. For information, visit www.stmaryschoolmokena.org.
• Volunteer with Joliet Area Community Hospice – Training days are 5 to 7:30 p.m. April 10, April 12, April 23 and April 25. Online training also available. Skills welcomed include sewing, office and animal therapy. For registration and information, call Denise or Sandy at 815-740-4104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
• Happy Back Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. This class helps alleviate back pain and other spinal issues. Registration required. To register and for information, call 708-479-9663 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m; also March 13, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group – 11 a.m., also March 13, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Carbohydrate Counting Class – 3 to 4 p.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 W. High St., Morris. Taught by a diabetes educator. Free. Registration not required.For information, call 815-705-7527.
• Help Pedal 4 Preemies on Pi Day – 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.; also March 14, Lewis University science building atrium, Romeoville. During the 26-hour event, participants will ride a stationary bike that will rotate a 5-foot diameter wheel. Lewis students will calculate how may pi are generated at the end of the event. Demonstration shows and fun activities for children. Benefits Loyola Medicine’s NICU. goal: $5,000. To participate, visit pedal4preemies.youcanbook.me. To donate, visit www.gofundme.com/pedal4preemies.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also March 13, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First time participants register at 1-888-660-HEAL (4325) or visit www.silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m., also March 20, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hines Mobile Medical Unit – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.. Channahon Village Hall, 24555 S. Navajo Drive, Channahon. For more information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission at 815-941-3152.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Breastfeeding Mother’s Support Group at PSJMC – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Auditorium B, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Weekly group.
• Memory Lane Social – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. For people with Alzheimer’s (or other dementias) along with their caregivers. Contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Open House – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m and 6 to 8 p.m., Cortiva Institute, 3033 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Tour the campus, explore the curriculum, learn about career options in massage therapy, speak with a financial aid officer and enroll on-site. RSVP at https://goo.gl/f7YCdy.
• “Ageless Grace” Chair Exercises – Noon to 1 p.m.; also March 21 and March 28, Lockport Branch Library, 121 E. Eighth St., Lockport. First of three-part series. Come to one class or all three. Adults. Registration required. To register and for information, visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org or call 815-552-4260.
• Stroke Support Group – 4 to 5 p.m. at Silver Cross Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Inpatient Unit Dining Room, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at 888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Weight Loss and Wellness Seminar – 6:30 p.m., Rogers Medical, 24012 W. Renwick, Road, Plainfield. Doctor-supervised, clinically proven weight loss program. Eat six times a day. No measuring. No program fees. Space limited. Reserve by calling 815-436-9393.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Cradle Talk – 10 to 11 a.m., Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 815 South Washington St., Naperville. Weekly support group for new parents and their babies, ages 0-6 months. Led by an Edward Hospital mother/baby nurse. Guest speakers. Weekly topics. Special events. Bring newborn with you. For information, call 630-527-3957 or visit www.eehealth.org/services/pregnancy-baby/resources/cradle-talk
• Will-Grundy Medical Clinic 30th anniversary Celebration Gala – March 15, Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook. Theme: A Pearl-fect Night of Honors. Cash bar begins 5:30 p.m. Dinner/honors/auction begins 6:15 p.m. $100. Contact Lynette Doherty at 815-726-3377 or email@example.com.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Yoga – 7 to 8 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Sterile Processing Education Conference registration deadline – Event is 8 a.m. to noon, March 17, Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. For perioperative staff, sterile processing, staff, infection prevention staff, quality management, risk management. Earn CEUs. Breakfast provided. Register at www.silvercross.org.
• Breathers’ Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High Street, Morris. For individuals with chronic lung disease, including COPD, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis and pulmonary fibrosis. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events or call 815-705-7837.
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Infants welcome. First-time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Optimizing Brain Fitness – 3 p.m., The Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Total of 12 lectures through June.Facilitated by Linda McCluskey. To register or for more information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• SMI Spartan 5K Fun Run/Walk – 7:15 a.m. March 17. Kids Sparty 2K is
8 a.m. Races chip-timed. Trophies and finisher medals. For information, email Jason at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bridging to the Future Spring Brunch – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 18, Prairie Bluff Golf Club, 19433 Renwick Road, Lockport. Easter Bunny (bring camera), raffle and silent auction. Bridges to a New Day helps children learn to deal with bullying issues through in-school programs, as well as providing domestic violence counseling to women. For sponsorships, email email@example.com. For information, visit www.bridgestoanewday.org or call 815-838-2690.
• NAMI Connection Support Group – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. For adults living with mental illness. Free. Contact NAMI Will Grundy at 815-731-9103 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Joliet) – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. Free. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email email@example.com.
• Hines Mobile Medical Unit – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.. Coal City American Legion
1752 East Division St., Diamond. For more information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission at 815-941-3152.
• Blood drive – 12:30 to 4:30 p.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 1, 150 High St., Morris. Donors receive free entry voucher to Siegel’s Cottonwood Farm Pumpkin Fest in Lockport. Walk-ins welcome. For appointments and information, call
815-705-7370 or visit www.heartlandbc.org.
• Mended Hearts – 2 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Support group for heart patients. For information, call Margaret Downey at 815-725-7133, ext. 7847.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 5:15 to 6:45 p.m., Romeoville Police Department, 900 Romeo Road, Romeoville. For more information, call Sandie at 815-886-9252.
• Breast Cancer Networking Group – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Stroke and Aphasia Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 1, 150 W. High St., Morris. Facilitators: Ali Bute, speech pathologist, and Liz Thrun, social worker. Reservations not required. Contact Bute at 815-705-7440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Breast Disease and How to Manage – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Maria Rapciak, general surgeon. Topics include breast pain, lumps and discharge. Free. Register at www.silvercross.org.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.