• “Big Day Bird Hike Challenge” – Through Aug. 17, six preserves located in Crete Township, Homer Glen, Mokena and Monee Township. Pick up checklists at Plum Creek Nature Center or Monee Reservoir Visitor Center. Submit a 24-hour bird-watching checklist and be entered into a drawing. Prize: binoculars valued at more than $200. Winner drawn at “Hummingbird Festival & Nature Celebration” on Aug. 18 at Goodenow Grove Nature Preserve. Free. 18 and older. Act as citizen scientists by submitting birding data to ebird.org. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• BrightDogs – Indoor dog park, classes, dog day care and indoor training. For information, visit www.brightdogs.net.
• Citizen Science Bat Monitoring Program – First come, first served. For information, call Forest Preserve District of Will County’s volunteer supervisor Renee Gauchat at 815-722-7364. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Free dry dog food – For active and retired U.S. military personnel. Monthly program. Must be picked up by the owner in Joliet. Proof of military service is required if you are retired. For information and a short telephone interview, call COPE Animal Rescue at 815-342-0378.
• Injured wildlife – Contact a wildlife rehabilitator by visiting shawurl.com/32k8 or web.extension.illinois.edu/wildlife.
• The Forest Preserve District of Will County dog parks – Permit required. For information, visit www.reconnectwithnature.org.
•$5 Microchip and Affordable Pet Vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m. April 24, Karen’s Pet Grooming, 309 Republic Ave., Joliet. For information, call 630-961-8000 or visit www.spayillinois.org.
• Wags 2 Wishes Animal Rescue “Totally Rad ’80s Prom Event” – 6 to 11 p.m.
May 12, 176 W. Banquet Hall, 1100 NE Frontage Road, Joliet. Drinks, buffet dinner, raffles and dancing to ’80s music with “DJ A to the K.” Cash bar available. ’80s attire required. $40. Buy tickets at www.w2wrescue.com/events.html.
• Chipotle Fundraiser – 5 to 9 p.m. Chipotle Mexican Grill, 2848 Plainfield Road, Joliet.
50 percent donated to Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue. Benefits dogs with extra medical needs. For information, email Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m. April 22, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Migratory Bird Hikes” registration deadline – Event is from 8 to 10 a.m.
April 21, Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve, Plainfield. Participants will hike up to 1.5 miles with a naturalist. Bring binoculars and dress for the weather. Free. Ages 7 and older. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or 815-886-1467.
• Low Cost Shot Clinic – 10 a.m. to noon, Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf Drive, Joliet. Registration required. Register at email@example.com.
• Read With Frog the Dog – 10:30 to
11:30 a.m., Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Sign up for a 15-minute time slot with Frog, a TDI certified therapy dog. Open to all ages. Registration for one 15 minute time slot is required. Limit 10 15-minute slots. To register or for information, call 815-467-1600 or visit www.trpld.org.
• Affordable Pet Vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, visit www.spayillinois.org.