• Advanced level drop-in training 10 am every Tuesday, Francis Field Youth Foundation Building, 801 E. Francis Road, New Lenox. For the advanced level competitor. Public welcome to visit and watch some of the top performing obedience dogs in the country training for competitions. Call Carolyn McGuire at 815-922-3058 or email email@example.com.
• Puppy and beginner dog training classes – Five-week classes start at noon, Francis Field Youth Foundation Building, 801 E. Francis Road, New Lenox. $100. Call Carolyn McGuire at 815-922-3058 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A heeling, handling, & confidence class for competition level handlers working at the Open and Utility level – Five-week classes start at noon, Francis Field Youth Foundation Building, 801 E. Francis Road, New Lenox. $100. Call Carolyn McGuire at 815-922-3058 or email email@example.com.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m. May 13, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• Woodland and River Bird Hike registration deadline – Event is 8 to 10 a.m. June 9, McKinley Woods - Frederick's Grove/Kerry Sheridan Grove, Channahon. Learn from an interpretive naturalist and other like-minded birders while hiking through an oak hickory forest near the Des Plaines River. Meet at the Frederick’s Grove Shelter. Dress for the weather. Hikes are 1 to 2 miles over natural uneven terrain. Ages 8 and up. Free. Register by June 7 at 815-722-9470 or www.reconnectwithnature.org. Anyone requiring an auxiliary aid or service to participate in this program should submit a request online no later than 48 hours before the program.
• “Lake Renwick Bird Viewing” – 8 a.m. to noon, Plainfield. Volunteers and staff at viewing platform and visitor center to answer questions. Spotting scopes and limited number of loaner binoculars are available. Bringing your own binoculars or spotting scope is recommended. Park in the Renwick Road lot. No dogs or bicycles. Free. All ages. Registration not required. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Volunteer Orientation – 10 to 11 a.m., Joliet Township Animal Control, 2807 McDonough St., Joliet. All new volunteers must attend orientation. We will go through the necessary paperwork, have a tour of the facility, go through policies and safety procedures and have a Q&A session. For information, call 815-725-0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Paws on 66: Pet Rescue Day 2018 – 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Joliet City Center Partnership 116 N Chicago St., Joliet. Pet rescues, animal welfare, vendors, entertainment. Free to attend. Attended personal pets welcome.
• For the Love of Pets – 1 to 3 p.m., Central Bark Dog Park, Lemont Township Pet adoption event. Rescues, vendors. For furry BFFs and their owners.
• Summer Horse Camps – 9:00 a.m.–3:00 p..m., Monday through Thursday, Nova Quarter Horses, 10129 W. 187th St., Mokena. Sessions are: June 11 to June 14; 2018, June 18 to June 21; June 25 to June 28; July 9 to July 12; July 30 to Aug. 2. Includes a riding lesson each day and hands-on experience in grooming, bridling and saddling horses. The last day features a horse show for family and friends. Ages 7 to 18. To register, call Mokena Park District at 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.