• Free JROTC Summer Drill Camp – 9 to noon, Lincoln-Way Central High School north gymnasium, New Lenox. For high school students. For more information, contact Dan Schliffka at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-462-2355.
• Build and Carve – 10 a.m., Frankfort Public Library, 21119 S Pfeiffer Road, Frankfort
Sign up to use the 3D Printer or CNC Mill. Make models, game pieces, replacement parts, stamps and engravings. Staff will provide assistance. Ages 13 and up. To register, call 815-534-6173 or visit www.frankfortlibrary.org.
• Grandparents Day Out – 10 a.m. to noon, White Oak Library District, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. Activities, ice cream, police dog demonstration, touch-a-truck and face painting. To register or for more information, contact Amy Byrne at 815-552-4278 or email@example.com or visit www.whiteoak.org.
• Friday Movie Matinee: "The Book of Henry" – 1 to 3:30 p.m., Plainfield Public Library,15025 S Illinois St., Plainfield. May bring own snacks. The doors open at 12:30 p.m. Adults. To register and for more information, call 815-436-6639 or visit plainfieldpubliclibrary.org.
• Morris Watercolor Guild – 1 to 3 p.m.; also July 13, United Methodist Church, 118 W. Jackson St., Morris. Meets Friday afternoons. Monthly workshops. Occasional field trips. New members welcome. For more information, call Kathy Skoza at 815-685-1046.
• DIY Chalkboard – 4 to 5 p.m., New Lenox Public Library, 120 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. Create a small chalkboard using only a photo frame, chalkboard paint and acrylic paint. Registration required. Call 815-485-2605 or visit www.newlenoxlibrary.org.
• End of Summer Bash – 5 to 7 p.m., Little Learner Children's Academy, 27754 Blue Grass Drive, Channahon. Food trucks, DJ, bounce house, face painting. For information, visit www.littlelearnerchildrensacademy.com.
• Kids Game Night – 6 to 8 p.m., Resurrection Lutheran Church, 25050 W Eames St., Channahon. Games and snacks. Bring a friend. For information, 815-467-6875 or visit www.resurrectionchannahon.org.
• Movie and a Mass – 8 p.m., St. Mary Immaculate Parish 15629 S. Rt. 59, Plainfield Featured film: "UP." Bring lawn chairs and blanket. Event moved to gym if inclement weather. For more information, call 815-436-2651 or visit www.smip.org.
• Ice Cream Social registration deadline – Event is 1 to 2:30 p.m., Aug. 23, Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. DesPlaines St., Plainfield. Ages 55 and up. For information, visit www.plfdparks.org.
• 12th annual Nature Photography Contest and Exhibit is coming in August – Also, Aug. 12, Goose Lake Prairie State Natural Area visitors center during regular hours. For information on entering the contest, visit www.gooselakeprairie.org/naturephotocontest.htm.
• 3 French Hens Country Market – 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Canal Port Park, Illinois Street, Morris.
Antiques, artisans, hand crafted items, fresh produce, baked goods, flowers and more. For more information, visit 3FrenchHensMarket@blogspot.com.
• Farm and Barn Fest – 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., Historic Yunker Farm, 10824 W. La Porte Road, Mokena. Free event admission and parking. For festival information, call 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Will Grundy Genealogical Society – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Coal City Public Library District, 85 N. Garfield St., Coal City. Guests welcome. Refreshments are served. Adults. For information, contact Dana Abraham at 815-634-4552 ext. 113 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Family Storytime – 10:15 to 11 a.m., Joliet Public Library, 3395 Black Road, Joliet
COST & INFO:A fun and interactive experience for birth to six years. Features stories, bubbles, songs, parachute play and crafts. Registration not required. For information, call 815-846-6500 or visit jolietlibrary.libcal.com.
• Bookend Painting Party – 10:30 to noon, Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Paint bookends to resemble the covers of books. Kids and teens. For information, call 815-467-1600 or visit www.trpld.org.
• Family Fun with LEGOS – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., White Oak Public Library District, 121 E. 8th. St., Lockport. Drop-in. Make a creation and we'll put it on display. For more information, contact Cathy Weltsch at 815-552-4265 or email@example.com or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• "The Nutcracker" auditions – Noon to 12:30 p.m. (ages 3 to 6), 12:30 to 1 p.m. (ages 7 to 12) and 1 to 2 p.m. (ages 13 to professional), Von Heidecke Dance Studio in Naperville, IL, located at 1239 South Naper Blvd. Naperville. Preregistration preferred. Performance is Dec. 2 at the Rialto Square Theatre in Joliet. For more information, visit www.vhdancecenter.com or call 630-527-1052.
• Hooks, Needles & More – 1 to 2:30 p.m., White Oak Library, 201 Normantown Road, Romeoville. Bring own needlework and chat with other crafters. Please register. Contact Beverly Krakovec at 815-552-4225 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Summer Jazz Concert – 2 to 3 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library, 300 Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. The Pharlis James Trio will perform memorable melodies from The Great American Songbook of Jazz with selections by artists Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra and Nat “King” Cole. For more information, call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Joliet Blues Festival – 4 to 11 p.m., Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park & Theatre, 201 w. Jefferson St., Joliet. $15. Beer, wine and food available for purchase. Visit www.jolietbluesfestival.com.
• Cruise Night – 6 to 9 p.m., Downtown Morris. Proceeds benefit Grundy County Volunteer Hospice. For more information, visit morriscruisenight.com.
• "Agriculture into Art" – 2 p.m., Illinois State Museum, Lockport. unLOCK Artist Steven Carelli will present and discuss agricultural imagery as inspiration in art from ancient times to the present. On view will be his installation "Harvest" merging with nature.
• Concerts on the Green – 6:30 to 8 p.m., Breidert Green. downtown Frankfort. For more information, visit www.frankfortcarclub.org.
• Woodworking Club – 9 to noon., also 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 16, Senior Services of Will County Main Office, 251 N. Center St., Joliet. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• "My Little Pony" – 10 a.m.; also Aug. 14, Emagine Frankfort, 19965 South La Grange Road, Frankfort. For information, visit www.emagine-entertainment.com/kids-summer-movie-series.
• Learn to Crochet – 11 a.m. to noon, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Wendy’s Cruisers – 5 to 9 p.m., Wendy’s, Morris. Weather permitting. Antique vehicles. For information, contact Ken at 815-942-2032 or email@example.com.
• Manhattan Area Centennial Farms – 5:30 to 9 p.m., The Manhattan Township Historical Society museum, 255 S. State St., Manhattan. Photos, information, artifacts. Free. For information, visit ManhattanHistorical@yahoo.com.
• Little Explorers registration deadline – Event is 10 to 11:30 a.m., Aug. 13, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, Channahon. Free play activities. Ages 3 to 5. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or by calling 815-722-9470.
• artitude exhibit – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., University of St. Francis gallery, 25 E. Van Buren, Joliet. Free and open to the public. artitude will be on exhibit to Aug. 17. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cathleen Schultz, "Against the Odds: Joliet's Rise from the Ashes" – 11 a.m., Joliet Area Historical Museum, 204 N. Ottawa St., Joliet. Half price admission, Light refreshments. For more information, call Jessamyn at 815-723-5201 ext.226 or visit www.jolietmuseum.org.
• Golden Agers – Noon to 4 p.m., Senior Services of Will County Main Office, 251 N. Center St., Joliet. Play cards and dice. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• Books and Beer Book Discussion – 7 p.m., White Oak Public Library District,201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. 21 and older. Book: "The Art Forger,” by B.A. Shapiro. Copies available at adult services desk. To register and for information, call 815-552-4230 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Midwest Crossroad Chorus of Sweet Adelines International – 7 p.m., Trinity Christian School, 901 Shorewood Drive, Shorewood. Call 866-588-7464 or visit
• Movies on the Green – 8 to 10:30 p.m., Breidert Green. downtown Frankfort. For more information, visit www.frankfortcarclub.org.
• Discovery Isle – 1 to 3 p.m., Isle a la Cache Museum, 501 E. Romeo Road, Romeoville. Activity or demonstration focusing on plants, animals or history. Indoors or outside. Registration not required. Free, all ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Calvary Quartet of Orland Park – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. Some a cappella, and some songs with pianist Royce Laverman. Free will offering benefits Feed My Starving Children MobilePack event at First Presbyterian. in November.
• Cheryl Holz Nature Art – Exhibit runs through Aug. 29, Plum Creek Nature Center. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. For information, visit www.reconnectwithnature.org.
• "Dog Days of Summer" Big Band Dance – 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., The Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road. Featuring the Del Berguson Orchestra. Free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.timbersofshorewood.com or call 815-609-0669.
• Check out a Snack – 4 to 5 p.m., Coal City Public Library District, 85 N. Garfield St., Coal City. Grab a favorite book or find a new one on the shelves. Read for 20 minutes and then choose a snack. Grades six to 12. For information, contact Shannon McVay at 815-634-4552 ext. 119 or email@example.com.
• Anime Club – 4:30 to 6 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. For more information, call 815-942-6880 or visit www.morrislibrary.com.
• Cruisin’ Frankfort – 5 to 8 p.m., Kansas and Oak streets, downtown Frankfort. Classic cars. Visit www.frankfortcarclub.org.
• LEGO Robotics League intro meeting – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., White Oak Public Library District, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. Team will meet weekly September, October, and November. Competition in December. Contact John Schulz at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, visit www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll.
• WriteOn Joliet – 6:00 p.m., Joliet Public Library-Black Road Branch, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. Critique group. Any genre, any writing experience. For information, visit www.writeonjoliet.com or email email@example.com.
• Concert on the Courthouse Lawn – 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Grundy County Courthouse lawn, Morris. Bring lawn chairs or a blanket. Featuring The Del Bergeson Orchestra.
• Concert on the Hill – 6:30 p.m., Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park & Theatre, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. For information, call 815-724-3760 or visit www.bicentennialpark.org.
• Cheryl Rodey – 8 to 11 p.m., Montage Wine Bar & Spirits, 307 Liberty St., Morris
COST & INFO: Live acoustic music. Also, wine, cocktails and small plates. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Kayak Kollege registration deadline – Event is 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Aug. 18, Lake Chaminwood Preserve, 24251 W Shepley Road, Minooka. Led by the United States Canoe Association (USCA) certified instructors,. Ages 12 and up. Ages 12 to 17 must be accompanied by a registered adult. $50 per person. Call 815-722-9470.
• Friday Night Fish and Flicks – 6:30 p.m., Prairie Bluff Golf Course, 19433 Renwick Road, Crest Hill. Bring blankets, fishing pole and bait. Catch and release. Free. Food available for purchase.. Featured movie: "Free Willie." For more information, call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.or visit www.lockportpark.org.