Digital Access

Digital Access
Access and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
A & E

Sites for 2018 youth waterfowl hunting seasons open

A number of Illinois state parks, fish and wildlife areas, conservation areas and recreation areas will be open to youth waterfowl hunting during the 2018 North Zone Youth Waterfowl Hunt, Central Zone Youth Waterfowl Hunt, South Central Zone Youth Waterfowl Hunt and South Zone Youth Waterfowl Hunt, the Illinois Department of Natural Resources recently announced.

Local sites include Braidwood Lake SFWA and Kankakee River State Park

At most sites, regulations that apply during the regular waterfowl hunting season apply during the youth hunt (hunters should check for site-specific regulations, including changes in legal shooting hours).

During the youth hunt, the bag limits are the same as during regular seasons.

As part of the youth hunt, hunters age 17 or younger may hunt ducks, geese, coots and mergansers, as long as they are accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age.

The accompanying adult cannot hunt these species, but may participate in other open seasons.

Youth hunters must have a hunting license, youth hunting license, or apprentice hunting license. The youth hunter or her or his accompanying adult must have a valid FOID card.

The supervising adult does not need to have a hunting license if they are not hunting other species. Youth hunters age 15 or younger are not required to have state or federal duck stamps.

However, youth hunters age 16 and older must have state and federal duck stamps, even if they are using an Illinois Youth Hunting License.

All waterfowl hunters, including those participating in the youth hunt, are required to register with the Harvest Information Program.

In order to register with HIP, hunters will need to have their hunting license number available.

Hunters should register for HIP at the license vendor when they buy their hunting license, by calling 1-888-6PERMIT (1-888-673-7648) or by visiting

Loading more