There’s no trial date set yet for a Minooka man charged in connection with the death of an infant.
Nicholas Fecarota, 18, was in court last week, as his attorney, Joshua Richards, requested another interim status hearing.
Richards said at the Jan. 24 hearing that he had received more discovery from the prosecution, but had issues with one of the DVDs he received. Assistant State’s Attorney Mike Quinlan said the two had solved the issue that morning. There was also discussion of a fifth round of discovery, which Quinlan said he believed would be the last.
Fecarota pleaded not guilty in October to charges that he murdered a 3-week-old baby. He faces first-degree murder charges.
Minooka police responded to a call the afternoon of Aug. 24, and, upon arriving, investigators discovered the baby had a fractured skull. The infant was taken to Morris Hospital and pronounced dead at 1:20 p.m. that day.
“When Mr. Fecarota was interviewed, he admitted to throwing the baby multiple times to stop the baby from crying,” according to a news release Minooka police issued at the time.
Stephen Richards, who represented Fecarota at earlier court dates, said the defense would most likely file a motion to suppress Fecarota’s statement to the police, as there were questions about whether or not Fecarota understood the Miranda warnings.