• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visitbit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Paws to Read with Coco – 6 to 7 p.m., 650 Deerwood Drive, Shorewood. Ages 5 to 12. Register at 815-725-1715 or visit shorewoodtroylibrary.org.
• Lizard Lovers –6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 3395 Black road, Joliet. Meet 10 live lizards, including Leon the enormous green chameleon. All ages. Registration not required. Call 815-846-6500 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• "Butterflies of the America Prairie" – 7 p.m., Pilcher Park Nature Center, 2501 Highland Park Drive, Joliet. Presenter: Doug Taron, chief curator for the Peggy
Notebaert Nature Museum. Social hour starts 6 p.m. Hosted by Will County Audubon Society. Free and open to the public. Visit willcountyaudubon.org.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, visit spayillinois.org.