MEET THE ARTISTS
Marty “Big Dog” Mercer Band – 4 p.m.
• Two decades of performing southpaw blues in the Chicago area.
• Known for emotional lyrics with aggressive guitar playing and/or slide guitar abilities
• Has worked with Kenny" Beedy Eyes" Smith, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Billy Branch & the S.O.B's, L.V. Banks, Toronzo Cannon, Lonnie Brooks, Ronnie Baker Brooks, Mud Morganfield, Rockin' Johnny Burgin, Omar Coleman, Marty Sammon, Lurrie Bell, Eddie Taylor Jr., Lindsey Alexander, Tom Holland, Larry McCray, Anthony Gomes, Chris Beard and Sharon Lewis
• Mercer was inducted into the Chicago Blues Hall of Fame on Oct. 16, 2016 at Legends in Chicago.
The HepKats (pictured above) – 5:30 p.m.
• Formed in 2014, The HepKats are Karl Maurer on guitars and vocals, Mitch Straeffer on bass and Larry Beers on drums
• Formed in 2014 entertained in the Chicago area for years
• Present jumped up versions of classic blues from the 1920’s to contemporary blues,
• Maurer frequently offers context on the songs they perform, revealing interesting facts about the origins of the music prior to performing the song.
• Maurer is a former trustee of The Blues Foundation and helped build the Blues Hall of
Fame in Memphis, which opened in 2015.
• Perform for charities such as Lurie Children’s Hospital, Ronald McDonald House,
Misericordia Home, Holiday Heroes
Mojo Morganfield – 7 p.m.
• Is the youngest son of Muddy Waters and often traveled and performed the closing song with his father.
• His band consists of Rick Kreher on guitar – who also played with his father Muddy Waters, Maurice Vaughn on keys Paul Hanover on harp, Mike Flynn on Bass and Chris Alexander on drums.
• Is also an ambassador, supporter and promoter inductee in the Prestigious Chicago Blues Hall of Fame.
The Mike Wheeler Band – 8:30 p.m.
• Mike Wheeler has a voice reminiscent of Sam Cooke.
• Genres include jazz, rock, popular music and Top 40,
• Has shared the stage with Willie Kent, Koko Taylor, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, George Benson, Jimmy Johnson and Shemekia Copeland.
• Was inducted in the Chicago Blues Hall of Fame in 2014.
• Band includes Larry Williams on bass, Cleo Cole on drums and Brian James on keyboards.
Jamiah Rogers Band– 10 p.m.
• Consists of Jamiah Rogers, Lead vocals and guitar, Dionte Skinner, Drums, and Tony Rogers, background vocals and bass guitar.
• In 2015, the band recorded its second CD, "Winners Never Quit." Rogers wrote all 10- original songs.
• The band has played at the Montreal International Jazz and Blues Festival
• In June 2017, Rogers released his junior solo CD “Blues Superman." He wrote and produced all 10 original tracks.