Winter's is here! You can improve your safety, save money and keep comfortable throughout winter with a few simple steps:
At Home: Have you…
- Cleaned the gutters? Clear debris from gutters and test downspouts for drainage to protect against water damage.
- Stopped the air leaks? Eliminating air leaks will improve your home's comfort and efficiency. Use a can of spray foam insulation to plug up the offenders.
- Scheduled a heating system inspection? Have your furnace professionally inspected and cleaned to reduce the risk of a breakdown and to keep the system running efficiently. If you have a fireplace, have your chimney professionally cleaned and inspected.
- Winterized outdoor faucets? Remove all hoses or devices attached to outdoor spigots. Have in-ground sprinkler systems blown out, and turn off water to outdoor spigots.
Your Vehicle: Have you…
- Had your vehicle serviced? Ask your mechanic to perform an inspection: Test the battery and brakes, inspect the exhaust, check the cooling system, check fluids, change the oil, and make sure all components are working properly.
- Checked the wiper blades? Inspect your wiper blades to make sure they're functional and in good condition.
- Monitored the fuel line? Always keep the tank at least half-full to help prevent freezing.
- Inspected the tires? Check for uneven wear, cupping, sidewall cracking and other damage or deterioration. Also examine tire treads to make sure the grooves are deep enough to grip slick surfaces.
- Stocked the trunk with emergency equipment? Essentials include: Flares, jumper cables, a shovel, a first-aid kit, a flashlight, extra batteries, non-perishable snacks and cold-weather gear.
Learn more timely home and auto maintenance tips from State Farm® at www.statefarm.com.
John Wright State Farm: 1050 Essington Road : Joliet, IL 60435 :815.725.5052