• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Cork and Craft Owls,”12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Event is Nov. 9, Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. Create an owl painting with Isle a la Cache as your muse and artist Crystal Simpelo as your instructor. Bring own wine. Canvases and paints provided. Ages 21 or older; $10. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• “Migratory Bird Hike,” Event is 8 to10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 9, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve Plainfield. Take a 1.5-mile guided hike in search of amazing waterfowl, soaring eagles and beautiful songbirds. Bring binoculars; a limited supply will be available for loan. Meet at the visitor center at the Renwick Road entrance. Free; ages 7 or older. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• Paws to Read – 10:30 to 11:30a.m., Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Relax and read to a dog, Call 815-467-1600 or visittrpld.org.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.